The two storey sandstone mansion named “Rouseville” was built in Davey Street Hobart in 1869 for Politician and Philanthropist Alfred Kennerley (1810-1897).
The 900 sq meter mansion was built by architect Henry Hunter at a cost of £3,400 and was named after Kennerley’s wife, Jane Rouse.
The mansion still contains a large Ferguson & Urie stained glass window in the stairwell and a stained glass fanlight above the front entry door. The side lights either side of the door were vandalised many years ago but pieces of the sidelights are still in the possession of the current owner.
Photos taken: 13th August 2012.
“DEATH OF HON. ALFRED KENNERLEY”
“The Hon. Alfred Kennerley, on of the most philanthropic and high principled men of Hobart, died yesterday at his residence, Elboden-place[i], in his 88th year, of old age and general decay, accelerated to some extent by the results of a stroke of paralysis having for some years prevented him getting about. He had spent a long and exemplary life in seeking to promote the good of others. A man who used to like to give expression to Tennyson’s lines – “Howe’er it be, it seems to me Tis only noble to be good; Kind hearts are more than coronets, And simple faith than Norman blood.”
He was no ordinary man, and has done an immense amount of good in his time. Mr. Kennerley was an English gentleman of means, who came out in the early days to New South Wales, where he acquired some property and was soon made a magistrate. Finding that the climate there was very trying, he and Mrs. Kennerley removed to Hobart, and permanently took up their residence in this city. Mrs. Kennerley, to whom he was devotedly attached, died 28 ye; ars ago, and shortly afterwards everyone heard with deep regret that Mr. Kennerley had suffered a paralytic stroke. He rallied wonderfully, though the effects never wholly disappeared, and few expected that his life would have been spun out to the great age he has attained. Being a man of means and leisure, upright and shrewd, with a very active mind, his good counsel was soon sought in public affairs. He was elected an alderman of the city early in his sixties, and was Mayor of Hobart in 1862 and 1863, and again in 1871 and 1872. He was also returned to Parliament, and was Premier of the colony from August 4, 1873, to July 20, 1876, his Ministry being composed of: Mr. Chapman, Colonial Secretary, to April 1, 1876, when he resigned; Mr. G. Gilmore, Colonial Secretary, from April 10, 1876; Mr. P. O. Fysh, Colonial Treasurer, to March 12, 1875, then without office; Mr. F. M. Innes, Colonial Treasurer, from March 13, 1875; Mr. Giblin, Attorney-General; Mr. W. Moore, Minister of Lands and Works. The munificent acts of the deceased have been numerous; he has aided very many good objects in a very generous manner. Mr. Kennerley was first and foremost a staunch adherent of the Church of England, and has been a very liberal supporter of All Saints’ Church for many years, giving an annual sum towards the salary of the incumbent, another annual sum towards the offertory, and also contributing towards the improvements of the edifice. The poor of the parish he was also ever mindful of. He purchased the property, and founded and endowed the Boys’ Home at a cost of about £3,000. The deceased gentleman leaves no children, his nearest relatives being his two nephews, Messrs. R. R. and Edward Terry, who resides in New South Wales, but who are well-known to a large circle of friends in Hobart. They are now on their way here to attend their uncle’s funeral.”
In 1867 Alfred Kennerley also donated two, two light stained glass windows depicting apostles to the All Saints Church at the same time as his friend and fellow parliamentarian, John Foster, had commissioned Ferguson & Urie to create a stained glass memorial to his seven year old son who died in December 1866 as a result of a coach accident.
The Mercury, Hobart Tasmania, Wednesday 7th August 1867, page 2
“…the firm [Ferguson & Urie] are in receipt of commissions from John Foster, Esq, for a memorial window to be placed in All Saints’ church, Hobart Town, in remembrance of the donor’s deceased son, and from A. Kennerley Esq, for other decorated windows for the same church…”
The Foster memorial window and those donated by Alfred Kennerley were all crafted by the Melbourne stained Glass firm Ferguson & Urie and are all located along the north side of All Saints Church in what is known as the “Kennerley Aisle”.
In late 2012 the Ferguson & Urie stained glass windows will be restored by Tasmania’s heritage stained glass conservator, Gavin Merrington. As at August 2012 restoration and conservation work has commenced on the three light west window of the church created in 1864 by the London stained glass firm of Charles Clutterbuck.
Biography: Alfred Kennerley (1810 – 1897)