The three Ferguson & Urie windows in the chancel of Holy Trinity Coleraine are a memorial to the Reverend Francis Thomas Cusack Russell who died aboard the ‘Hampshire’ on his return voyage from England on the 7th of February 1876. The windows depict the Nativity, Crucifixion and Resurrection and were donated by George Trangmar of “Toolang”, Coleraine. Three other Ferguson and Urie windows originally installed in the South wall of the nave were donated by Richard Lewis of “Rifle Downs”, Digby. Another memorial window to Rev. Russell also exists at the former Anglican Church at Merino, also made by Ferguson & Urie.
Photos taken 9th January 2011.
The memorial text at the base of the Crucifixion window reads:
“These windows were presented to Holy Trinity Church Coleraine by GEORGE TRANGMAR in loving memory of the late Revd F. T. CUSACK RUSSELL, L.L.D. for nearly twenty five years Clergyman of this Parish 1877”.
The Holy Trinity Church at Coleraine was consecrated by Bishop Thornton on Thursday 30th October 1884. The Ferguson & Urie oriel windows, formerly installed in the clerestory, are now mounted within the plain glass windows of the newly constructed south wall.
“The foundation stone for Holy Trinity Church, Coleraine was laid on 8 February 1865 by the Rev. Dr Francis Thomas Cusack Russell and the first service held on 4 November 1866.…”
“…The three windows in the chancel, The nativity, The Crucifixion and the Resurrection were a memorial to Rev. Dr. Russell donated by local merchant George Trangmar and manufactured by Melbourne firm Ferguson & Urie. The symbolic oriel windows were by Ferguson & Urie.…”
Holy Trinity Coleraine, Church booklet, page 27.
“The three Sanctuary windows were presented to Holy Trinity by George Trangmar of “Toolang” in memory of Dr. Russell when the chancel was built in 1877. The left window depicts the stable at Bethlehem, the centre one the Crucifixion with Jesus at the Last Supper below, and the window on the right shows the resurrection. The Clerestory windows depict various Christian symbols and were the gift of Mr. Richard Lewis, of “Rifle Downs”, Digby”.
GEORGE TRANGMAR 1825-1917
“The death is announced this morning of a very old resident of the Western district. Mr, George Trangmar, formerly of Toolang, Coleraine. Mr. Trangmar, who was born at Brighton, England, in 1825, arrived in Victoria in 1849. He joined his brother, Mr. James Trangmar, in business in Portland, but in 1851 went to Coleraine, and opened a store there. He was in business for 25 years at Coleraine, where he took a leading part in local affairs. He was a member of the Wannon Shire Council for very many years, and filled the presidential chair. Some forty years ago he acquired the Toolang estate, ten miles from Coleraine, which he used for sheep farming until about 14 years ago when he sold the property, and came to live in Melbourne with his daughter, Mrs. J. M. Gillespie. The funeral will take place at Coleraine on Friday”.
RICHARD LEWIS (1815-1890)
Richard Lewis was a Sea Captain & later a pastoralist who settled at Emu Creek (later to be named Digby). He built the Wool Pack Inn at Digby in 1843 and purchased the Rifle Downs and later Pleasant Hills, Glenlivet and Hilgay properties. He died at Casterton aged 76 on the 25th of September 1890 and was buried in the South Portland cemetery.
“Intelligence has been received here to-day of the death of Mr. Richard Lewis of “Bryngola”. The deceased gentleman succumbed to the terrible complaint Bright’s disease, but was well advanced in years, his age, we understand, being 76. Mr. Lewis was one of the oldest of the pioneers, his connection with this district, we believe, having reached a period of very close on the half-century. He owned at one period Rifle Downs, Pleasant Hills, Glenlivet and Hilgay stations. In accordance with his expressed wish Mr. Lewis’ remains will be brought to Portland for interment, and will be buried tomorrow in the South Cemetery. The funeral leaves the North Station at 1.30 p.m.”
08-12-1867: St Peter’s, Merino (another memorial to Rev. Russell)
Biography: Francis Thomas Cusack Russell (1823–1876)