The North Melbourne Advertiser, Saturday 8th October 1887, page 2.
“Mr. Harry Lording the well known local architect and builder, announces in our advertising columns that he has removed to a more central office at 18 Errol street near Victoria street. Mr. Lording’s works are characterized by good taste and boldness of design, one of his best efforts being the residence of Mr. James Ferguson at Royal Park. The Pavilion at the Recreation Reserve is another construction that will bear inspection, and proves the architect possesses considerable ability as a good designer and economical arranger.”
James Ferguson’s home “Ayr Cottage” at 1 Leonard Street Parkville (formerly Royal Park) still exists to this day. In 1901 it was purchased by the Victorian Children’s Aid Society and in 1966 changed into the hands of International House, the University of Melbourne, who still own it as at 2014.
Coincidentally, the architect/builder of ‘Ayr Cottage’, Harry Lording, had a son named Frank Clifford Lording (1860-1944) who was an apprentice of the Ferguson & Urie stained glass company.
Significant research detail on the history of Ayr Cottage can be seen via the links at the bottom of this page.