“Stained glass window made for ‘Glenferrie’, Malvern, the residence of James Fergusson, a Melbourne manufacturing stationer and member of the Legislative Assembly, and Shire President 1871-72.’Glenferrie’ was a two-storey mansion with fourteen rooms and extensive grounds. Its land extended from Glenferrie Rd and Toorak Rds to the far side of the railway line. In 1903 the estate was subdivided, and the house was called Zeerust by a subsequent owner. The style of the window strongly indicates it was locally made by Ferguson & Urie, the main stained-glass manufacturers in Melbourne from the early 1860s to the 1890s. Following the demolition of Glenferrie in 1954, the window was purchased by a local resident, and subsequently installed in a modern home in the 1970s in Mernda Road, Kooyong”.
“A large leaded and stained glass window, 3.5 metres by 2 metres, attributed to Melbourne stained glass manufacturers Ferguson and Urie; dated c. 1872. Three tall panels, with three small panels above, which show a kangaroo and emu on either side of an early Australian coat of arms. Pride of place in the liddle [sic] window is given to the Fergusson Blazon of Arms, with three boars heads and a buckle. There are six hand-painted vignettes showing aspects of Victorian industry: shipping, farming, pastoral, printing, mining and railways. There are two female figures representing Agriculture and Commerce. Images of thistles, roses and the shamrock represent respectively Scotland, England and Ireland. All panels are bordered by a climbing floral pattern which is entwined around a gold covered rod”. – MUSEUM VICTORIA STAFF WRITER
Dr. Richard Gillespie, curator of the Melbourne Museum, talks about the ‘Glenferrie’ stained glass window.
(in-line link to Youtube video posted by the Melbourne Museum)
Photos taken 10 May 2011: (The window was extremely hard to photograph as it’s mounted in its own protective glass frame which causes a lot of reflection).
Related posts: 18-08-1951: Zeerust/Glenferrie Mansion, Malvern, Victoria.