In 1881 a Ferguson & Urie three light stained glass window depicting the “Resurrection and the life, Good Shepherd, and Light of the world” was supposed to have been erected in the chancel of St Paul’s, Launceston and unveiled on Christmas day 1881. Unfortunately the company couldn’t complete the window in time and requested an extension.
By April 1882 the three light chancel window was in place and at the same time two other single light windows by Ferguson & Urie, depicting St Peter and St Paul, were awaiting arrival to be subsequently placed either side of the chancel.
The church was demolished circa 1875 to make way for the Launceston Hospital. Nothing has yet been ascertained as to the location of these stained glass windows, but a three light window of English manufacture, erected in St Paul’s in 1886, is now located in St Paul’s Chapel by the Sea at Low Head.
Launceston Examiner, Tasmania, Tuesday 27th December 1881, page 3.
“CHRISTMAS DAY ….”
“… As usual the church of St. Paul’s was decorated very chastely and effectively, and perhaps suffered no loss by comparison with more extensive Christmas decorations in previous years…”
“… At the close of the sermon in the morning, the incumbent alluded to one feature of Christmas greeting which he regretted the absence of, and which he hoped would be there that day, viz, a stained glass window for the chancel, which was to replace the painted one, which so often became an eye-sore when the paint began to peel off. A parishioner, in humble circumstances, had liberally offered to pay the cost of the new window, but through press of business Messrs Ferguson and Uril [sic], of Melbourne, had not been able to complete it in time for Christmas; and as they wished to do the work well, they asked a little extension of time. Probably a few weeks more will see this addition in its place, and it will not be the less welcomed through not making its first appearance at the Christmas festival.”
Launceston Examiner, Tasmania, Tuesday 11th April 1882, page 3.
“During Holy Week, owing to alterations, which were being made in connection with putting up the stained glass window in the Chancel of St. Paul’s Church, the daily service was held in the adjoining School-room….”
“… Before commencing the sermon in the evening, he alluded with feelings of thankfulness to the hearty and earnest services of Good Friday, and expressed his gratitude that the ugly painted window in the Chancel had given place to the handsome one, which those who were present in the morning had the privilege of witnessing the full effect of…”
“….and with pleasure announced that two additional stained glass windows had been liberally presented to the church, to be placed at the end of each aisle, right and left of the chancel. One window would represent St. Paul, whose name of the church and parish bear, and the other St. Peter, his brother apostle, and these windows would probably be finished in about three months. The chancel window, the noble and generous gift of a working man in the parish, consists of three lights; the central one containing a representation of Christ as the “Good Shepherd”, underneath this figure is the lamb with banner and cross, and above it the I.H.S., and alpha and omega in very rich colours. To the right is Christ as the “Light of the world;” above, the symbol of St. Mark, and below, that of St. John. To the left is Christ as the “Resurrection and the life,” with the symbol of St. Matthew above, and St. Luke below. Taken altogether the window is very pleasing and effective, and was supplied by Messrs Ferguson and Urie, of Melbourne, who will also provide the two additional windows….”
“The Anglican Parish of St Paul’s was officially created and opened on 15 October 1854. Prior to this it was part of the Parish of St John’s, Launceston. It comprised the church of St Paul’s in Cleveland Street. On 5 October 1975 the final service was conducted in the church prior to its demolition to make way for redevelopment of the Launceston General Hospital on the church site. The demolition was agreed upon only if the hospital recycled the building as much as possible. Much of the fabric and contents of the St Paul’s church went to Low Head and were used in the construction of St Paul’s Chapel by the Sea, an interdenominational church which by c. 2000 was incorporated into the Ainslie House Aged Care Complex at Low Head. The chapel built at the redevelopment of the Launceston General Hospital was named St Paul’s chapel”.
“This substantial brick church was opened around 1980. It contains many fittings from St Paul’s Anglican Church, Launceston including the stained glass, memorial tablets and organ. St Paul’s was a large timber church to the south of the city centre close to the Launceston General Hospital”.