“The stained glass window to the memory of the late Mr. J. Reid has been placed just opposite the family pew in St John’s Church. It is from the works of Messrs Ferguson & Urie and is a very handsome specimen of the art. We have been requested to state that donations promised and to be made can be paid to the Town Clerk, the mayor, or the Rev. Mr. Scott”.
The window described in the article no longer exists. There are a lot of original windows with plain yellow/amber diamond quarries and single colour borders by Ferguson & Urie.
There are two small stained glass quatrefoils and a trefoil by Ferguson & Urie in the west and east ends. At first glance the two quatrefoils above the main west windows look to be the typical Alpha and Omega symbols in rich purple, blue, ruby and yellow but on closer inspection the text symbols are actually “AD” and “1876” which is the year the church was constructed by Crouch & Wilson. The trefoil window is above a single light near the stairs that lead to the organ loft at the east end.
Photos dated 20th Nov 2011 and 7th Apr 2012.
(Post updated updated 7th Apr 2012)