In 1868 it was reported that the Ferguson & Urie stained glass company had prepared the designs for a 22ft high five light window depicting the Virgin Mary and the Crucifixion for St Mary’s church in Queensberry Street, Hotham, at an estimated cost of £375. The window was never actually created by Ferguson & Urie!
“ST MARY’S CHURCH, HOTHAM…”
“… One of the noticeable features of this church is its windows. Those in the gables of the transepts are “four-light” windows, and of good size, but the finest of all is that of the chancel, which is the principal window of the church and one of the largest in Melbourne. It is twelve feet wide, and twenty-two feet high, and contains five “lights,” the mullions being of free-stone, beautifully carved. It is intended, when funds permit, to fill this window with stained glass, each “light” or compartment containing a design illustrative of some memorable scriptural incident in the life of the Virgin Mary. The design for the centre light will be the Crucifixion of the Saviour, with the Virgin Mary and St. John at the foot of the cross, and the subjects for the other compartments will include the Annunciation, the Adoration of the Magi, &c. The designs for this window have already been partly prepared by Messrs. Ferguson and Urie, and the estimated cost of carrying them out is £375. The remainder of the windows will be fitted with plain cathedral glass….”
Although it was reported that Ferguson & Urie had ‘prepared’ the designs, the window was never made by them. The window remained as plain cathedral glass for a further twenty years before being made by Smyrk & Rogers of Little-Collins street east in 1888 who were also responsible for most of the others in the church.