John Wilson’s mansion ‘Woodlands’, Crowlands, Ararat, Victoria, Australia.
“Woodlands, one of Victoria’s grander Italianate country mansions, was built in 1868 to the design of Crouch and Wilson. It was built for the third owner of the Woodlands Station, Mr John Wilson, the elder brother and pastoral partner of Sir Samuel Wilson, who commissioned the same architects to design his Homestead, ‘Longerenong’, near Horsham in 1862. The front door has stained glass sidelights and a stained glass window in the stair hall by Ferguson, Urie, and Lyon.”
The Brothers John & and Sir Samuel Wilson also contributed funds for the two largest windows in Scots Church Melbourne which were both made by Ferguson & Urie.
At the Art Treasures Exhibition of 1869, Ferguson & Urie display the stained glass window intended for the hall of John Wilson’s ‘Woodlands’ Mansion in Western Victoria.
“… Returning to our task, and passing from the western to the eastern aisle of the great hall, we find a novel addition to the original exhibits in the shape of a stained glass window, executed for Mr. John Wilson, of Woodlands, and intended to be placed in the hall of that mansion. It represents, in the central portion of the composition, night and morning and the four seasons the interspaces of the medallions being filled in with arabesque ornaments. Full length figures of faith, Hope, and Charity: Art, Literature, and Science, occupy the borders. It is from the manufactory of Messrs Ferguson, Urie & Lyon.”
Woodlands is now a privately owned property located north east of Ararat. The windows are extant. No photos yet.